Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Comparison of Finally Moving by Chris Webby and Rock Bottom by Eminem

- Before you read this know I am very aware that Chris Webby is not a midwest rapper but I think these songs compliment eachother nicely and make a good comparison-
            Reoccurring themes link songs together that were made by two unique individuals. The sound of one’s struggles in music is universal. Rap music is filled to the brim with songs about difficulty in life. One such instance is Finally Moving by Chris Webby and Rock Bottom by Eminem. They share many similarities, but are kept separated by the artists’ distinct personalities.
            Eminem, or Slim Shady, lived a very isolated life from Webby, so naturally his song contains different content and difficulties. One is that he seems more taxed by the stress; “I’m poppin’ percocets, I’m a nervous wreck…” He also has a child that he works to take care of. Em gets worked up about not providing his daughter with the right kind of life; “And my daughter’s down to her last diaper: that’s got my ass hyper”. It is apparent that Eminem is more angry and violent. He says “Minimum wage got my adrenaline caged, full of venom and rage…” and “Holdin’ two glocks, I hope your doors got new locks on ‘em…”. In this track, Slim declares he is willing to commit violent acts and steal because he hit rock bottom.
            As Slim’s song branched out, Chris’s also covered different topics. Webby is not forced to work like Em for his daughter, but he states “I can’t live at my parents house forever, broke as f***, life could be so much better…”. This shows that he still has the desire to acquire currency, even if he is not forced to. Webby is more into rap for the experience than the benefits; “This is what I live, this is what I breathe. Without hip hop, there’d be no me…” He depends on rap as an outlet and career instead of only a source of profit. Another example of this is: “These other kids do it for the Itunes cash; I do it for free, it’s all love like that.” Chris has created many albums called mixtapes. They are one of the purest forms of hip hop and if released online, are given for free. If he only wanted to generate revenue, he would not have mad free music that took time and effort.
Some ideas are almost parallel in these tracks. Both artists speak of their struggle, even though they vary in degree. A problem for both emcee is a lack of money to spend, but their reasons for wanting it branch in opposite directions. The moods to the songs are almost identical, being depressing, except for Webby’s last verse which can only be described as inspirational. They are also not proud of their behavior in te past of possible future. Slim says “That’s rock bottom: when you want something bad enough to steal” and Chris raps “Everybody tells me that I’m talented and clever but I still have nothing to show for my endeavors.” The Detroit lyricist and suburban party rapper shared many qualities in these songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment